Keeping track of finances can be difficult and cumbersome at times. When checking for your credit reports it is important to know that you can access these for FREE, despite what other sites may say. Many are actually out to make you think they are free, and then they require signing up for their service, not in this case. Checking your report is a good thing to do regularly to ensure you are not a victim of fraud.
In order to get a reporting of your credit history you have to know a few things in advance. The site posted below will offer three different reports through three different companies. Each is free, BUT you can only use one service in a 12 month period. If you set up a calendar to check your report with one service every 4 months, you will be able to get reports all year round to ensure the safety of your credit. An example of this would be to use Experian in January, Equifax in May, and Transunion in September. Then repeat the cycle each year for regular updates and changes.
- Go to Annual Credit Report
- Enter your current state in the drop down menu
- Click on the "Request Report" button
- Fill in the required information - this is used to verify your data for security purposes
- They will ask you a series of questions to authenticate your information
- Select ONE service to get your current credit report
- Either print or save the report for your personal records
- Verify the data for accuracy